Friday, May 15, 2009

A garden at last

We finally got our garden planted yesterday, a whole month late. I stayed in the house most of the time during planting and didn't supervise. We now have a 30 foot row of zuccinni and a 30 foot row of yellow crook neck squash. Three plants of each will feed the whole neighborhood. The excuse was that there was still seed in the package and so it had to be planted.

I had 5 potatoes that had started to grow so Pa decided to plant them. He dug a nice ditch about 6 feet long to plant them in. I wonder if he was trying to feed the starving children in China since he dug the ditch so deep. I don't think the Chinese even eat potatoes.

The tomatoes are blooming and are half way up the 4 foot fence Pa is training them to grow on. Since we planted them a long time ago, I am hopine they will soon have fruit for us to eat.

Since it takes 80 days for the corn to mature, maybe we will be eating corn by August 2nd. I decided to weed the asparagas and spent a hour yesterday and another hour today pulling weeds in a 30 ft row. I finally talked Pa into getting the Mantis tiller out so I could till the dirt along side the vegetables. I was warned several times that it would jump around on the hard dirt and take out the plants. I was able to go up one side and back without a single mishap. My arms gave out so I had to quit. It was so much easier than being down on my hands and knees.

I wonder how much we will be able to harvest from this garden. It will probably get ripe just before we go to Swiss Days. I wonder how much $ we will save. We had to buy the seed and plants. I don't know how much we spent. I know it wasn't cheap. The best thing about it, fresh from the garden beats store bought any day so I am looking forward to the harvest in August. The frost won't get it until October or November. Pa did a good job with the garden and hopefully it will give us an abundance of fresh veggies.

5 comments:

  1. Yea!! I'm glad you were able to get the garden in. I'm surprised that you said you should have planted a month ago. We plant peas, cabbage, onions & potatoes (and anything else that won't freeze) on Feb. 15 and everything else Mar. 15. Of course everything is burnt up by the middle of June. We have 1/2 a row of yellow squash and 1/2 a row of zuchini. (And you know how long our rows are) You can feed China, we'll feed everyone else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work. Our garden is still sitting empty. Not a spare moment to work in it. This morning was the first morning I was able to sleep past 5:45 a.m. I swear that time is going faster and faster and faster. There are not enough hours in the day. (On the good side, my flowers are still living!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The work never ends. While I'm working on one end of my yard, the other end is sprouting weeds faster than ever. I think there's a weedy fairy that flies around when my back is turned. I turn around and the weeds are 2 feet tall. We're hoping to get the vegetables in our garden in the next week or two, but we have to connect to the irrigation water first. What a job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's better than us! We just got ours tilled! But we're hoping to plant soon. I think you should bring all the squash and zucchini you can to Swiss Days and sell real authentic "Swiss" squash and "Swiss" zucchini - you'd make a killing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Show offs.... Just because our tomato plants are almost 4 inches... Just kidding, sounds like you're gonna have a great garden this year.

    ReplyDelete